Saturday, July 17, 2010

Inception


Dom Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio), a skilled thief who can steal ideas from someone's subconscious, is given one last chance at redemption. One last job could give him his life back but only if he can accomplish the impossible - inception.

I've been staring at the monitor for 5 minutes now and I'm still not sure how to start this review. If I were to describe the movie in a few words, that would be "Outrageously Exhausting Mind Trip". It was so complex you wouldn't want to blink an eye lest you want to get lost in the 2.5 hr psycho-thriller mental adventure.


Props to the filmmakers for such an original story especially in this day and age of sequels, remakes and comic book films. You must be truly creative and brilliant to be able to come up with such a mind-boggling plot that truly keeps you on the edge of your seat. Moreover, Leonardo Dicaprio's acting is flawless as expected. That guy is truly in a league of his own. I can definitely predict this movie to rake in the money and potentially the awards as well. BUUUTTTTT, despite all the flowery words I've mentioned, I'm not jumping up and down with glee about the movie. Yes it was a great film but not exceptionally great (in my opinion at least). The setback for me was the massive amount of detail you had to grasp and some loopholes in the plot. But like I said, thats just me.


[SPOILER ALERT BELOW]

Actually, I had to sit down and revisit the movie in my head (or in my dreams hahaha) before I could post a fair review as I really hated the ending. The part where after he sees his children, the totem still keeps on spinning and looks like it wont stop spinning - which actually meant he was still in a dream. That really turned me off. After 2.5 hrs of intense focus and mental torture it turns out he was still dreaming after all (!#@#!). Then again we really won't know if it did stop spinning as they made it appear as if it were wobbling and about to stop then the movie cuts to black and ends. But what do you expect right?! Of course they wanted the ending to be ambiguous! So that people will continue to talk about it after they step out from the theatres - the exact same thing I'm doing right now haha.

Nevertheless, it's still a must see. It may be better after you've seen it the 2nd or 3rd time so you can digest more of the intricate details in the story that you may have missed out the first time you saw it. PLUS, the fact that I didn't fall asleep despite the midnight showing and 2.5 hour length of the movie means it must be good hahaha.

My rating for Inception is 4.25/5.0

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails