Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fair Game

I haven't reviewed a movie in a while so I might be a bit rusty hehe. Saw this movie last night, and at midnight at that. The first hour was a bit dragging and dry as it was mostly narrative but the last hour was quite engaging. Thank god for the large coffee I drank at Coffee Bean which made me widely awake the entire time haha.

I actually liked the story of the movie. It was based on books written by Valerie Plame and her husband, detailing her career as a former CIA agent and the events leading to her resignation. Basically, the plot of the movie revolves around Iraq's alleged purchase of aluminum tubes to be used for nuclear weapons. Plame and her husband's undercover work prove that no such transaction occurred. The administration ignores his findings so Joe Wilson (husband) writes a New York Times editorial outlining his conclusions and naturally ignites a horrendous controversy. This leads to Plame's public disclosure as a CIA agent and causes a strain on their marriage and personal lives.


I'm not sure how much of the movie is true but it really does leave a bad taste in the mouth. Too ugly to be true but who knows. I hate the fact that Bush during his administration was soooo pro-war. Bombing Iraq like nobody's business. There was a line in the movie where this lady said "This is not Iraq, this is America". True. Very True.

Now I'm not sure if it was Cathay's fault that the movie's cinematography wasn't so clear, which made it feel like a low budget movie at times, because the HD trailer in Youtube sure looks good. Other than that, good movie. A real eye opener to the harsh realities of life, politics, and "politicking".

My rating for Fair Game is 4/5

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails