Saturday, October 11, 2008

Straits Kitchen, Grand Hyatt Hotel

Ok, I did say I wasn't going to eat buffet anymore for my b'day dinner but Zach said I should really try out Straits Kitchen at the Hyatt Hotel near Orchard. We actually first went to Chimes to look for a nice decent restaurant to eat at but realized for the price of a la carte in a place like Chimes, then might as well go to Straits (hehe reasons reasons..).

The Dessert Station

Straits Kitchen is an all-buffet, all-halal, all asian Restaurant. I highly recommend this place for those first-timers in Singapore as they really showcase most, if not all, of the popular eats in the country. As you know, Singapore is a melting pot of Asian Cultures which comprise mostly of Chinese, Malay & Indian - and Straits has food from all 3 cultures for your gustatory satisfaction.

The Indian Buffet Station

The Malay Buffet Station
The Chinese Buffet Station

The Fruit & Drink Station

So I started my birthday feast with my favorite chinese appetizer, "Popiah". Not too bad but I don't think its the best popiah I've tasted. On the other hand, the "Roasted Peking Duck" was heavenly. I love that it doesn't have that aftertaste that some ducks have when improperly cooked.

Then I went for the Indian buffet spread. Indian food is usually loaded with spices and flavour. I love the chicken and the shrimp, though the shrimp was a bit overcooked as it was tough.

Lastly, I tried the Malay station. I love the freshly-grilled "Satay" - you can choose from beef, mutton or chicken. And of course the peanut sauce is a must with these grilled delights. As always, my favorite (so many favorites haha) is the "Beef Rendang", i love the sweet, salty, spicy, gingery flavour of the beef.

I didn't want to stuff myself crazy because I really hate the feeling of being bloated and wanting to throw up just because you want to get your money's worth. I also didn't eat a lot of carbs even if I so wanted to have the Indian Prata & Malay Rice. Pictured above are the asian desserts, some even from Indonesia, if I'm not mistaken (the rice cakes). The egg tart was so-so, nothing really beats Macaunese authentic egg tarts.

I was so happy to find out they have Durian Ice Cream! Eversince I tasted the Durian mooncake, I have learned to appreciate the taste & infamous smell of this pungent fruit.

Lastly, some fruits to wash away the guilt, haha who am I kidding. The dessert in the bowl is "Chendol", something like "Halo-halo" in the Philippines.

I just had to take a picture of their chopsticks. Very nice wooden authentic chopsticks.

So I was a happy fat bloke on my birthday, hehehe. The interior of Straits Kitchen is really impressive. The detail and intricate design of the walls were visually captivating (too bad I wasn't able to take a picture). The staff were also very efficient and friendly, they always make sure you have drinking water (unlike some restos that wouldn't bother to refill your water unless you order a paid drink). They also cleared the plates as soon as you stood up from your table and they even picked up my table napkin when I dropped it on the floor while seated. The only thing I don't like was after clearing your plate, they leave your utensils on the table, it would have been better if they put them on a saucer.

Zach introduced me to this fruit called "Snake Fruit" from Indonesia. I have never seen such a fruit and it was really interesting. The skin really felt like snake skin, I was wondering if someone ever thought of making them into shoes or bags haha.

Snake Fruit

This is how it looks like in the inside. Too bad I didn't quite like it, too bland and tough for a fruit for me.

All in all, Straits was a great way to celebrate my birthday. I can't believe this is my 2nd birthday in Singapore. How time flies. The buffet was around $48 net per person, not bad for a buffet in a very classy hotel like Grand Hyatt.

Here is my rating for Straits-

Ambiance - 5.0
Food - 3.0
Presentation - NA
Service - 4.8
Value for Money - 4.5
OVERALL - 4.33

Grand Hyatt Singapore
10 Scotts Road, Singapore 228211
Tel: +65 6738 1234 Fax: +65 6732 1696
Email: singapore.grand@hyatt.com
Opening hours: Monday to Sunday 6.30 am to 12.00 midnight
For more details, please call +65 6732 1234

"Live, Love & Eat!"

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails