Monday, October 27, 2008

Blindness


A doctor's wife becomes the only person with the ability to see in a town where everyone is struck with a mysterious case of sudden blindness. She fakes blindness in order to take care of her husband as her surrounding community breaks down into chaos and disorder. "Blindness" is a psychological thriller about the fragility of mankind, a film adaptation of the 1995 novel of the same name by Nobel Prize winner Jose Saramago.



This movie is definitely very unusual with a very strong theme. It was very repulsive and disturbing but it did sure make me think. I was going through the different reviews on yahoo movies and it does ellicit a lot of mixed extreme reviews. Either you like it or you don't. I'm sort of in the middle.

The fact that I didn't fall asleep is a very strong indicator that it was enough to keep me glued, to think that we caught the 2.30am monday morning showing (since Monday is a Deepavali Holiday). I regard this movie as a very emotionally-affecting one. A film that really stings your emotions. So if you're the type that enjoys movies with laid out storylines, then don't go for this. I think they perfectly depicted the extent humans can go to given the extreme condition of survival of the fittest.

[Spoiler Alert]
The only thing I didn't like was the movie keeps you "blind" about why they went blind, how they went blind and how they gained back their vision. A bit dragging with no real clincher at the end. So it will make you very disappointed.

My rating for Blindess is 3.0/5.0.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails