Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Currumbin Beach, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary & Mermaid Beach

Now if you remember, we had a kitchenette in our hotel room so most of our meals were from either Woolworth's or Cole's. We had these ready-made microwaveable meals one night and they were really good! #HelloooPreservatives haha.



Our first stop for the day was the picturesque Currumbin Beach, which we accidentally chanced upon on the way to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary. In fact, it is just a few steps away from the entrance to the Sanctuary.



Well hello tummy hahaha
We went crazy with photos (as you can see) haha. It was really beautiful. Plus, it was empty!! I couldn't believe that such a beautiful clean beach wasn't crowded, unless the locals were tired of it? When I come back to Gold Coast, I would definitely spend more time here - probably even a day.





Trying out the filters of my Olympus Pen EP3 camera :-)



Can you imagine how awesome it is to actually have a house by this beautiful beach?? #InMyDreams


After all the fun and thrill from the back-to-back theme parks, we wanted to tone it down by visiting the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary. It is roughly a 30-minute drive from Surfer's Paradise, closer to the airport.





OMG!!!

 
I was so happy to finally get to see Koalas! Yeeyyyyy! I learned that koalas actually live, eat and sleep on the top branches of Eucalyptus trees. Fascinating right?! I bet you didnt know that! hehe.


Do you see that??


The Australian Dingo is basically a wild dog. As you can see from the photo below, it looks like an askal hehe (filipino for wild dog, literal translation is street dog).



Our tickets actually included the Tree Top climb but after seeing how high they were (photo above), there was no way my fat ass could climb that haha. Sorry Aflian! He wasn't too happy to waste the money hehe.





I was ecstatic to finally get to see AND pet a kangaroo! They were friendly and not shy at all! In fact, they pee in front of you hahaha (photo below).




So very cute!!! Can you see her baby in her pouch! I learned that female kangaroos have a pouch called a "marsupium" in which joeys complete postnatal development.


We bought this from the night market and had it for snack while at the Sanctuary. It was super good but super sinful haha. The seller said she made them at her home. People loved it as her stall was hounded by buyers.



You gotta love (or hate?) Air Asia for this commercial plug in the wilderness haha. There is a train that goes round and round the sanctuary if you get tired of walking. We didn't really spend a lot of time here. In our opinion, we felt the place was overly priced. Not worth your money to be honest. If it weren't for the koalas and kangaroos, we would have felt robbed.


Pass by HoneyWorld which was right outside the sanctuary. They have many many sorts of honey which are much cheaper compared to buying here in Singapore. Honey is good for you!



On the way back to Surfer's Paradise, we purposely dropped by Pancakes on the Rocks in Mermaid beach.





Get the Gold Coast tourist magazine at the airport. It is loaded with discount coupons and one of them is for Pancakes on the Rocks. Awesome!



I don't know if it is just me but I didn't like their pancakes. They were too bready for my liking. Although, my friends who have been to Australia said they liked it very much. Too bad for me haha.





You can buy the pancake mix and their official mug if you want souvenirs. I didn't hehe. #Peace


We loved Harbourtown Outlet so much that we were there several times. It was really good that we decided to rent a car as getting around was much much easier.


Really, if luggage wasn't an issue, I would have hauled so much Breville appliances. They had more variety and much much cheaper compared to getting it here in Singapore.




There is also a huge Reading Cinema at Harbourtown. Very nice. I could imagine myself watching movies here quite often if I lived in Gold Coast #DayDreaming. Haha.

So that's our Australia trip! Finally! haha. So glad I was able to finish the posts before 2014 haha. It was actually good blogging about it several months from the actual trip as it brought back such fond memories. Travelling is really one thing I could not get enough of. There is just so much to discover in any place. 2014 will surely be another year of travel and adventure! :-)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails