Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Rite



Inspired by true events, "The Rite" follows skeptical seminary student Michael Kovak (Colin O'Donoghue), who reluctantly attends exorcism school at the Vatican. While he's in Rome, Michael meets an unorthodox priest, Father Lucas (Anthony Hopkins), who introduces him to the darker side of his faith, uncovering the devil's reach even to one of the holiest places on Earth. (Overview taken from SG Yahoo Movies)



We didn't plan to see this movie but it so happened we were in Vivo City and passed by the cinemas. I remember seeing the trailer of this movie through the huge screen at Grand Park Hotel on Orchard Road and when I saw Anthony Hopkins I knew I wanted to see it.


My initial response to this movie, which I also posted as my status on facebook, was that it's so terrifying and stressful. It didn't help that we were on the front row because we booked late plus the noisy filipina girl behind me wouldn't stop yapping (Seriously, this is probably the 3rd time I came across a group of noisy pinoys in the cinemas. Shut the F up. Such a shame).


[Spoiler Alert]
I remember watching another film about exorcism, whose title escapes me now, and in that movie it was proven that exorcism was staged. Similarly, in "The Rite", there was a scene where Father Lucas faked the demon by making it appear as if a frog was in the boy's pillow when in fact he took that frog from his pond at home. I'm still not convinced that demonic possessions are real. I'm just torn between the religious and medical aspect of being possessed. Like in the Philippines, for some strange reason the supposed "possessions" almost always happen to people who live in the rural depressed areas. 


The movie was so-so though the effects were superb. Good thing Anthony Hopkins was in it. He is such a stellar actor - one of hollywood's best indeed.


My rating for "The Rite" is 3.0/5.0.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails