Saturday, February 19, 2011

127 Hours



"127 Hours" is the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston's (James Franco) remarkable adventure to save himself after a fallen boulder crashes on his arm and traps him in an isolated canyon in Utah. Over the next five days, Ralston examines his life and survives the elements to finally discover he has the courage and the wherewithal to extricate himself by any means necessary, scale a 65-foot wall and hike over eight miles to seek help. (Synopsis from SG Yahoo Movies)



Hmm, seems like there's an ongoing trend of movies about people getting stuck in the most unusual places (e.g. Frozen [which was stressful and graphic] and Buried [which was a total waste of time]). 

[Spoiler Alert]
Now I totally had no idea what this movie was about. Sometimes it's better that way so your expectations are low. True enough, 127 Hours is definitely the best among the lot. I just couldn't fathom how someone could endure amputating his/her own limb. In fact, just being trapped in that crevice would have already driven me crazy! Moreover, can you imagine how grueling those 5 days were, trying to figure out how to get out of that mess?! 


As the credits were rolling, I think I wasn't the only one left speechless and dumbfounded (based on what I saw on the people's faces). It's really amazing how humans can survive when your survival instincts kick in - of course given that you're as fit as Aron. I probably would have just waited to lose weight from starvation so my arm would get smaller then it would probably come off by itself hehehe. Kidding aside, what a subtle yet powerful movie of hope and determination. Go and watch it!

My rating for 127 Hours is 4.0/5.0.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails