Sunday, August 22, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes



2 weekends ago, I was in a baking mood (as usual haha) so I decided to finally try my own version of red velvet cupcakes. It was also my friend's bday party so more reason to do so.


I'm really so glad I have this baking book. It really comes in handy for baking all sorts of stuff. I used the recipe for Classic Chocolate Cake - though I replaced the water with 1 cup homemade buttermilk and 1/4 cup red food colouring. I always find myself modifying recipes a bit and experimenting so that I can rightfully say the finished baked product is truly my creation hehehe.




Anyway, I find it amusing how the cake batter turned from cream to chocolate brown to a deep red. The red food colouring we used was on the darker side, maybe next time I could try cherry red for a brighter red velvet cupcake.





It was quite a long process and I was really late for the birthday party. Thank god my cousin Aileen is also a baking aficionado and she was the one who prepared the buttercream icing. I was so happy to find disposable piping bags at a neighbourhood store so that came in handy.



So there you go!!! I definitely still need to perfect my piping and the icing but I'm very happy how it turned out. Not exactly perfect but decent enough to give as a gift hehe. AND modesty aside, it was a hit at the party!!! Guests were actually taking pictures of the cupcakes! :) I love how the cake itself turned out, very moist and chocolatey despite the very red color.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails