Sunday, August 22, 2010

Grandma's, Orchard Parade Hotel



My company had a software launch event at the Orchard Parade hotel 2 weeks ago and the very gracious owners of our company treated all of the event participants to lunch at Grandma's.


The interior of the resto was very "kampung" style which gave a homey relaxed atmosphere. I ordered "Nasi Bukhari" (S$ 14+, I think) - pilaf rice with fried chicken thigh, half a boiled egg, and sides of beef rendang and prawns with sweet onions.


I read from other blogs that the chef in Grandma's was a former head chef in Madam Kwan's, and I only found out about this after I already ate there. If this is true then I'm very disappointed, because the Nasi Lemak in Madam Kwan's is sooooo much better by a far mile. The nasi bukhari was very ordinary even the neighborhood hawkers served better malay food. Plus, the serving was very small -there were 2 tiny pieces of shrimp plus maybe a tablespoon of beef rendang. The chicken was also dry and bland. And to top it all off, it takes 15-20 mins to prepare the dish which the waiters forewarn you upon ordering.

Luckily, no rating for Grandma's since I didn't pay. I should probably bring Zach to this place so I can get a second opinion. If I had found out the chef used to be from Madam Kwan's BEFORE eating there then I probably would have been more disappointed.


Address: 1 Tanglin Road
#01-13 Orchard Parade Hotel
Singapore
Tel: +65 6732 3082

Opening Hours
Lunch: 11.30am – 3.00pm
Dinner: 5.00pm – 10.30pm

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails