Sunday, August 1, 2010

Precious

Precious is an adaptation by Geoffrey S. Fletcher of the 1996 novel "Push" by Sapphire. Clareece "Precious" Jones is an overweight, illiterate African-American teen in Harlem. Just as she's about to give birth to her second child, Precious is accepted into an alternative school where a teacher helps her find a new path in her life.


Now let me be honest with you and say that one of the major reasons why I wanted to see this film is because Mariah Carey is in it, and she being deglamourized in the movie is an understatement. Seriously though, more than Mariah's cameo role, I think the movie was an awakening experience. Though the movie isn't specifically based on someone's real life, it is based on real life experiences.


I, having come from a third-world country and being overweight (or shall I say obese) my whole life can personally relate to the movie. Harsh circumstances depicted in the film is such a day-to-day reality in the Philippines. And to know that such occurences also happen in the land of milk and honey, USA, is really moving.

The film was not only heart-wrenching but funny at times. I do remember laughing a few times especially in the scene where they were gushing and flirting with the cute male nurse. And going back to Mariah, OMG!!! Her look was so downplayed in the movie that I almost didn't recognize her! Now I wonder if they used prosthetics to make her look that terrible or is that how she really looks like sans the makeup and designer clothes?? But Kudos to her! Her part in the film was definitely way way much better than "Glitter" haha.

My rating for Precious is 4.0/5.0

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails