Sunday, February 22, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire (100th Post!)


Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai is about to experience the biggest day of his life. With the whole nation watching, he is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India's "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?". But when the show breaks for the night, police arrest him on suspicion of cheating. Jamal proves his innocence by telling the story of his life in the slum where he and his brother grew up. Each chapter of his story reveals the key to the answer to each one of the game show's questions. When the new day dawns and Jamal returns to answer the final question, the Inspector and sixty million viewers are about to find out...
http://sg.movies.yahoo.com/Slumdog+Millionaire/movie/15064/



Can you believe it?! This is my 100th post! Wow. 8 months later and this blog is still alive. To think lately I've been quite lazy in updating my blog. But it's also because work has pretty much preoccupied most of my time. Whatever free time I had was kept for sleep.

So I watched this movie last week. My expectations were sky high because of all the hype and awards this movie has won. My verdict - it was ok. Like what Simon is fond of saying, I wasn't jumping up and down but it wasn't bad at all. It was just ok.

Admittedly though the cinematography was astounding and the story is really unique. I think more than anything, what made the movie garner so many distinct awards is because of the fact that a bollywood movie finally made it big in the US box office. I think we all know how big the movie indsutry is in India. I heard there are like hundreds of movies year round.

I was just wondering why they chose "Who wants to be a millionaire?", I mean this game show was famous when I was still in school - at least 7 or 8 years ago. Or is it still famous in India?

My rating for Slumdog - 3/5.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails