Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Maids in Uniform? Is it really necessary?

I was about to go to bed, browsing through some regular blogs that I read and something struck me. It may seem petty and unimportant but can you help me answer this - Is it really necessary for maids to wear uniforms?

Is this a "phenomenon" that only happens in filipino culture? Yes, some of you may say that chambermaids or cleaners really wear uniforms (as J.Lo depicts in the picture below) but I think it's different, as these people are employees who go to work (e.g. hotel, etc). In the same way that students wear uniforms to school or say bank employees to work to identify themselves. But I don't know, for some reason, I can't seem to apply this same logic to maids who work at your HOME. For one, they don't really have an "office". Their office is your home, which happens to be their home as well. Ergo, they have to wear uniforms 24/7?


If you ask me, I strongly think maids wearing uniforms has become a "status image" in the Philippines. Honestly, when I go out malling in the Philippines and see maids in uniforms out in public along with the "rich" family I can't help but feel sorry for them. Is it one way of saying "Oh, she's not part of the family, just so you know..."

Then again, the maids probably don't mind. And I'm probably just making a big fuzz. After all, I think you'll agree with me that the Philippines is probably the only third-world country in the world where almost everyone has a maid - regardless of your socio-economic status.

Well, there's a thought. Good night! :-)

1 comment:

Simon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts with Thumbnails