Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Lady


I said it in my FB account but I'll say it again - You MUST watch this movie!

I haven't seen such a great movie in a while. According to Wikipedia, this movie is a french-english production, thus it's mostly released in Europe and the US. I do hope it gets to be shown in the Philippines so that my friends and family out there can see it.


Being Filipino, this movie strongly reminds me of Cory Aquino. If I'm not mistaken, the 1986 EDSA People Power Revolution in the Philippines sparked similar revolutions around the world. The uprising in Burma happened 2 years after EDSA though I'm not sure if there is any direct correlation there.

I'm very embarrased to admit that I knew nothing about Aung San Suu Kyi nor did I have any idea about the political history of Burma. All I know is that Burma is also Myanmar, haha. Kidding aside, the true fact is that when it comes to politics, my brain shuts off. Not to diss the Philippines, but I guess the "dirty" politics in my country dissuaded me from being interested in anything related to politics.

Anyway, my ignorance aside, this movie is truly epic. It makes you think about how much one will sacrifice for the love of his/her country. I think for the most of us, we remain as spectators. Well, at least in my case. This movie made me think what have I actually done for my country or my countrymen. It also made me realize how important education is. I'd like to believe that these military men who massacred thousands upon thousands of people knew nothing about what they were doing - they were just taking orders from their equally ignorant superiors (and this applies not only to Burma but to the rest of the world).

No spoilers in this review as I hate it when reviews have spoilers and no warning :-)

Really, you have to watch this movie!

My rating for The Lady - 5.0/5.0

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails